Wednesday, September 29, 2010

When I Am With You

This week's Unity Addicts Challenge #20 is to make a masculine birthday card using at least one chipboard, grungeboard or cardboard element. A masculine birthday card I can do, but chipboard? Yikes! I don't own any chipboard-type embellishments and wasn't about to run out to buy some just for this challenge so I did some research, found this tutorial on how to make my own chipboard pieces, and started creating. I love the idea of birthday cards that don't have the typical Happy Birthday or Birthday Wishes sentiments on them so I chose to make a card which could be given to any man on his birthday (or any occasion)!

I received my beautiful September KOTM in the mail yesterday so I was happy for the opportunity to use it. When I showed my son the images, I asked him to tell me what all the objects were and he knew the words for everything except the Eiffel Tower. He called it a clock tower which is fine because that is so cute. ;) Two of the images are giant leaves but my son thought they were trees and they could most definitely be trees (I'll be crediting him when I use them as such)! I used them as leaves on my card without the stems because I didn't want the stems to interfere with the framed bird image which I love. I love hanging things off the edge of my cards these days. Can you tell? :) I just make up for the size of the card by slicing the exact amount off the other side so the card still fits nicely into the standard envelope.

I'm not going to deny it any longer. I am a Unity Addict! I just wonder why I didn't become one sooner. :Þ

Sources: SU Naturals Ivory & Kraft cardstock; Unity September 2010 Kit of the Month - When I Am With You; Ippity Book It; SU Cherry Cobbler, Wild Wasabi & Crumb Cake inks; Memento Rich Cocoa ink; Glue Dots minis; Stampin' Dimensionals; Royale tissues box (for the shiny chipboard elements); SU Crystal Effects; The Twinery baker's twine in Cappuccino

13 comments:

Handmade Creations by Stephanie said...

Oh I love how you used these images Emily this is amazing. I got my stamps yesterday cannot wait to use them after seeing this!!!

Smita said...

Another lovely card. Love the stamp and the the chipboard embellishment!

Saskia said...

Beautiful card!!!

Saskia :)

Tee said...

Love the sentiment! Its just perfect! Beautiful card..

Ujjwal said...

This is gorgeous Emily!! Love the way you have combined the images!! I am drooling all over them :D

Angela said...

Love the faux chipboard -- and it looks real to me! The shiny-ness and mix of colors is so appealing. You ARE an official Unity addict now!

Jennifer said...

I love Unity also!! GREAT card!!! (=

Lindsey said...

I'm far from an expert, but this sure looks like the quintessential Unity card! Nice sub on the chipboard. Have I seen you use Crystal Effects before? It looks great here! (I also think your son's tree could make a pretty funky Christmas tree!)

Alice said...

beautiful collage. beautiful card, Emily! love it!

G Peplow said...

Hi Emily, I'm in love with your style, lately it's been an inspiration, hanging off is good and if you haven't got it, you make it, how fantastic is that?
Have fun:0) xxx

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

BEAUTIFUL!

Meg said...

Wow, look at you being all collage-y! Love all the fun elements you put on here like your "chipboard" and leaf-hanging-over-the-edge. And that bird frame is great!

Vicky Hayes said...

I know what you mean about things overlapping the edge - it's a great look.